How Do You Maintain a Generator?
A generator for your home is more than a safety precaution – it’s an investment. This smart investment can last years with proper care. Generator maintenance can prevent breakdowns, avoid power loss when you need it most and circumvent costly generator replacement.
Pay attention to these simple generator maintenance tips and you’ll keep your generator in tip-top shape for those moments when it’s really needed.
- Cover it up: A cover for your generator keeps out water and moisture. It prevents mold from accumulating and debris from collecting that might create damage to your unit.
- Power it up: An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Power up your generator once per quarter for 15-30 minute increments. This charges the battery and alerts you to any problem ahead of time. The worst time to discover a problem with your generator is when you need it most.
- Fill it up: When you’re powering up your unit on a quarterly basis, check the fuel level. Make sure your fuel tank is full to avoid running out of fuel in an emergency situation. A full generator also avoids damage to your tank.
- Filter it up: Cleaning and changing the filter on your generator is a good safety measure. Check the condition of the filter on a regular basis. Be sure the filter isn’t dirty, full of debris, warped or otherwise misshapen. Clean it or change it as needed. Irrespective of its cleanliness or condition, most manufacturers recommend changing the filter every 100 hours of use.
- Oil it up: Check the oil prior to each use. If it’s a new generator, change the oil after the first 20 hours of use. Otherwise, like with the filter, change the oil at least every 100 hours to maintain optimal operational conditions.
Generator Maintenance in Fairfax, VA
Regular maintenance avoids potential leaks or other disasters. It keeps your equipment clean and dry and ensures that it’s working efficiently when you really need it. Need help with generator maintenance in Fairfax? Beacon Electrical Services is here to help. If you don't have a backup generator and are interested in installation or if you have a unit that needs repairs, don't delay in calling us! Trusted throughout Fairfax, we're the team to trust when you need peace of mind.
Fill out our online contact form to request service, or simply give us a call at (703) 343-9884.